This article helps you to refine search queries using refinement labels. Refinement label is visible on the top of your search result. To enable refinement in your search engine first you need to create some label and after that apply it to the search result. Refinement used to categorize your site. In this article, I have explained refine searches of Google Search Engine.
Steps to Create Refinement Result for Google Search Engine
Step 1: Open Google CSE. Click Here
Step 2: From left sidebar edit search engine select your search engine.
Step 3: After selecting your search engine click on Search feature link that is shown in below image.
Step 4: Click on refinement.
Step 5: Click on Add button to add the new refinement label. Enter refinement label name and optional word. Now click on OK Button to create refinement.
Step 6: In the right side, one google demo search box is there. Enter some search string into it. Like “Common Types of Network Attacks and Defense Versus Network Attack”
Note: The refinement is worked only for the free edition of custom search and it is not supported by google site search.
When you click on network refinement then google search will show you all result related to network refinement.
Following Are the Tips for Search Refinement for More Focused Search Result:
1. Case insensitivity: You can write the label with and without capitalize.
2. Multiple words: It is compulsory to use multiple words in the search result. Avoid making one-word queries.
3. Word order: Always use word order because it can affect the ranking of that search result. So must arrange your words in the order if you want they would appear in the search result that you are looking for.
4. Wildcard: To using * sign you can substitute for a whole word in a multi-word search. Also, asterisks can be used for substitute whole word.
5. Number range: To using two dots (..) between numbers will match on numbers within that range. For the example Academic year 2010 to 2017.
6. Boolean logic: We can specify singular and plural forms of a word. For this, you must use OR and – to in your search. For Example: “Educational Material OR Material”.
7. Punctuation: Except special character (range indicator and wildcard) all punctuation is ignored. There is hyphen is an important exception. The hyphen specifies the strong relationship between the two words. Also, underscores is connected in most condition.
8. Superfluous words: Google always ignore word like an, of, in, which, who and is so try to avoid this word for search refinement. Ignore your query like as question. For example How many countries in the world?.
9. Synonyms: To using ~ (tilde) sign Google considers to be synonymous or related. For example tutorial on programming ~c sharp.
10. Exact phrases: It is good practice to put quotes around phrases. We can add multiple phrases in the same query. Never make query out of order if you don’t know the order.
11. Stemming: Sometimes google matches automatically word and shows the result that is called streaming. Steaming is very important in search engine optimization.